Arctic Answers provides scientific information on societal-relevant questions in formats usable by a variety of stakeholders, including policy- and decision-makers, Arctic residents, scientists, students, and journalists. Answers are provided as short 1-2 page science briefs. Each brief is the top of a "knowledge pyramid" with a collection of additional scientific resources organized in underlying tiers of increasing detail.
Arctic Answers is a initiative of the Study of Environmental Arctic Change Program (SEARCH), where the Sea Ice Action Network (SIAN) is contributing knowledge pyramids on key sea-ice topics and stakeholder questions.
The SIAN is developing knowledge pyramids and/or science briefs to answer the following questions:
- How is diminishing sea ice influencing marine ecosystems?
- How is diminishing Arctic sea ice influencing lower latitude weather patterns?
- How is diminishing Arctic sea ice influencing coastal communities?
- What do we know about the future of Arctic sea-ice loss?
- How are melting Arctic sea-ice and land-ice linked to sea-level rise?
Currently, the SIAN is developing new knowledge pyramids and/or science briefs on the following topics:
- How is Arctic marine access and shipping influenced by sea-ice conditions?
- What are the limits on Arctic sea-ice prediction on seasonal, annual, and decadal timescales?
Visit the SEARCH Arctic Answers website for the full list of questions being addressed.